BEFORE YOUR PROJECT BEGINS
- Consider potential topics for your thesis or ideas for your creative project, ideally two to six months before the first term in which you register for thesis hours.
- Meet with faculty members in your department whom you are considering to serve as your thesis director. If you are not familiar with your departmentâ€™s faculty members, each departmentâ€™s website has a listing of its faculty members, usually with links to their current research interests and/or personal websites.
- Set up a meeting with the program coordinator at HITM@fsu.edu , or attend a general interest meeting to learn more about the process.
- Make an appointment to talk to your departmentâ€™s faculty Honors liaison (if applicable; not all departments have an Honors liaison).
- Submit Your Honors in the Major application â€“ no later than the last day of classes in the semester before you start work on your project.
FIRST RESEARCH TERM (PROSPECTUS)
- Before midnight on fourth day of classes (last day of add/drop) â€“ register for Honors thesis credit. You will register for 1-3 hours of Honors thesis credit.
- First 2-3 weeks of classes â€“ work with your thesis director to narrow the scope and focus of your thesis and to finalize your prospectus. Select the other members of your committee.
- Friday, seventh week of classes â€“ copy of approved prospectus and signed prospectus approval form due to Honors in the Major office.
LAST RESEARCH TERM (DEFENSE)
- Before midnight on fourth day of classes (last day of add/drop) â€“ register for honors thesis credit. You will register for 1-3 hours of Honors thesis credit.
- First 2-3 weeks of classes â€“ remind faculty committee of upcoming defense and confer with faculty to establish defense date, time and location.
- Friday, fourth week of classes â€“ signed defense announcement due to Honors in the Major office.
- Two weeks before scheduled defense date â€“ final draft of thesis due to faculty committee.
- Last day of classes â€“ all defense paperwork and electronic thesis file due to Honors in the Major office.