Students are accepted into the University Honors Program by application only. Prospective FSU students indicate interest in applying to University Honors on their general university application and subsequently complete a supplementary University Honors Application. Additionally, students also may apply for lateral admission to University Honors at the end of their first semester at FSU or apply as a transfer student from another institution at which they are a member of the honors program or honors college.
High School Students
*FSU and University Honors applications go live on August 1, 2022. Read below for detailed instructions on how to apply.*
To apply to the Florida State University Honors Program, potential students must complete following steps:
1. Apply to Florida State University
To be considered for University Honors, first-year applicants must first submit an application to Florida State University by December 1, 2022 and select "Yes" to the question, “Are you interested in applying to the Honors Program?”
- When applying through the FSU Application, this question is located on the Additional Academic History page.
- When applying through the Common App, this question is located under Academics in the Questions section.
Once the university application has been submitted, please allow some time for the University Honors Application to become available on the Application Status Check. For students applying through the Common App, this may take up to 48 hours.
2. Complete the Honors Application
Students must indicate their interest in and complete their supplemental University Honors Application by 11:59 pm EST on December 12, 2022 to be considered for University Honors.
The University Honors Application consists of a series of student dispositions and short answer questions. Applicants must answer every question to be considered for the University Honors. Applicants to University Honors will be evaluated based on a holistic approach including, but not limited to, grades and strength of curriculum, honors and awards, extracurricular achievements, unique individual talents, quality of responses to the short-answer questions, and ACT/SAT test scores.
The academic profile of the middle 50% of applicants admitted to University Honors in 2021 was: 4.40-4.66 weighted GPA; 32-34 ACT composite score; 1440-1520 SAT total score.
Applicants will be notified of whether they were admitted to FSU and University Honors on February 15, 2023.
Current Florida State University Students
Freshmen at Florida State University may be eligible for admission to University Honors via the lateral admission process. Lateral admits join the University Honors the spring semester following their first fall semester. They are held to the same retention requirements as students admitted by standard admission.
Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of their FSU cumulative and term GPAs, college coursework, and expressed interest in University Honors as reflected in the application. To be competitive, students offered lateral admission generally enroll in at least fifteen (15) graded credit hours and earn a 3.800 FSU GPA during their first fall term.
Applications for Spring 2023 admission will be available in from October 1 - December 1, 2022. Admission decisions are communicated after final grades post in the fall semester.
Students who are admitted to Florida State University by transferring may apply for admission to the Honors Program. To be considered for admission into the FSU Honors Program transfer students if they meet the following criteria:
- Students who transfer with an AA must have completed the honors program requirements at the prior institution. Lower-division transfer students must have completed successfully at least six honors credit hours to be considered for admission the FSU Honors Program.
(Note: Up to six hours of honors credit from the from the prior institution can be considered toward meeting the FSU Transfer Honors Requirements.)
- Have a 3.75 GPA or higher from their current institution.
- Have at least two academic years - four fall/spring semesters, not including summer sessions, remaining at FSU.
Students will be evaluated on the basis of cumulative and term GPAs, college coursework, and expressed interest in University Honors as reflected in the application. All applications will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis with no guarantee of admission.
Transfer Application Deadlines:
- December 1 - Deadline for transfer students wishing to start in the spring semester.
- April 1 - Deadline for transfer students wishing to start in the summer semester.
- August 1 - Deadline for transfer students wishing to start in the fall semester.
Transfer applicants will receive a decision one business day before drop/add of your first semester at Florida State University.