Get a head start on Medical School
The Florida State University College of Medicine has joined forces with the Honors Program to create a professional-track program available, on a highly competitive basis, to a small number of motivated first-year students in each incoming Honors class. The program gives students a head start on their chosen careers by allowing them to become members of the College of Medicine community while they are still undergraduates.
Please note that the Honors Medical Scholars program is not a Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Philosophy (BS/MD) program. While not guaranteeing admission into the College of Medicine, FSU Honors Medical Scholars who successfully complete the program and pre-medical requirements will be eligible to apply to the FSU College of Medicine through the early decision process. The program allows eligible students to pursue a Bachelor of Science degree of their choice. In some cases it may be possible to finish the undergraduate and M.D. degrees in seven years depending on college credits earned before enrollment at FSU.
Honors Medical Scholars benefit from participation in a special seminar course, a mentorship program, pre-med prerequisite courses, medical and community volunteer activities, and the Honors Medical Scholars Society, as well as other student organizations.
Eligibility for the Honors Medical Scholars Program is limited to graduating high school students who have been offered:
- First-time in college freshman admission to Florida State University AND
- An invitation to the University Honors Program; both admission and the invitation must be achieved by specific dates.
Interested students must apply for general university and Honors Program* admission by December 1, 2020. Upon completion of both the university and Honors Program applications, interested students will receive access to the Honors Medical Scholars application. Students interested in the Honors Medical Scholars Program must submit a completed application by January 15, 2021. Students will receive notice of their university and Honors Program decisions on February 18, 2021. Finalists for Honors Medical Scholars Program consideration will receive an interview invitation on February 18, 2021.
- December 1, 2020: FSU Application Deadline
- December 1, 2020: Honors Program Application Deadline (extended to December 6, 2020 by 11:59 p.m. EST)*
- January 15, 2021: Honors Medical Scholars Application Deadline
- February 18, 2021: Students receive notice of FSU and Honors Program decisions.
- February 18, 2021: Honors Medical Scholars Finalists for Consideration receive interview invitation.
- March 26, 2021: Honors Medical Scholars Interview Day (by invitation)
The Honors Medical Scholars application is available through the FSU Admissions Portal beginning October 15, 2020 and all materials, including two letters of recommendation, must be submitted by January 15, 2021.
Contact the Honors Program Office for more information: email@example.com or 850-644-1841.
Florida State University College of Medicine
Honors Medical Scholars - Requirements for Bachelor of Science Phase - College of Medicine
Pre-Health Advising for Undergraduates
Honors Medical Scholars Society