Students admitted to the HITM program are expected to meet paperwork deadlines and thesis milestones, as well as maintain a minimum 3.20 GPA. Missed deadlines or milestones and/or dipping below a 3.20 GPA may result in removal from the HITM program. Program requirements are reviewed in-depth in the Honors in the Major Handbook.
Extension Request Process
If extraordinary circumstances prevent adherence to the deadlines or milestones, the student must send an email to HITM@fsu.edu (cc: the thesis director in the email) with an explanation and a request for an extension. This emailed request assumes you have already previously spoken to the thesis director about the request. The email must be received at least 3 business days before the deadline.
- Extension requests will not be considered if they do not come from both the student and the thesis director.
- Decisions regarding extension requests will be communicated to the student and the thesis director within three business days of receipt.
- Extension requests made after a missed deadline or milestone may not be considered.
Students have the right to appeal their removal from the HITM program if they believe the decision was unfair.
- Students must complete the Appeal Form stating the details and reason for reconsideration.
- No additional edits to the submission is allowed and a blind reviewer will evaluate the submission on the student's behalf.
- Appeal Form must be submitted within two weeks (including holidays and weekends) of the missed deadline in question or notification of removal from the program.
- The Honors Program will contact the student with the decision within two weeks of the appeal request.
- Only one appeal request may be submitted per student.
- If an appeal is granted and a student is subsequently removed from the HITM program due to failure to meet requirements, no additional appeals are possible, and removal from the program is final.